Yarny Goodness!

Another superexciting fun knit blog

 
May Knit Goals!
I'm prone to being a scatterbrain, so I try to make a short list of things to accomplish each month (lest I have 27 different non matching socks).

No throwing books during finals - Sucess!

Finish Yarrow Rib #2

Start (finish?) Entrelac Socks

Start Eunny's Vest, Ribbi Cardi #2

Work on Dumb Scarf

On the Sticks

K1, YO, K2Tog Scarf

Sort of Samus

Yarrow Ribbed Sock

Rogue

Raglan with lace panel sleeves

Ribbi Cardi #2 (black/purple)

Mountain Stream Scarf

Sweater-A-Month 2007

Picovoli: Cathay - Needs blocking

Cabled Hoodie: Cascade 220 - Needs seams

Urban Aran

Mariah

Durrow - Done!

KnitPicks' Kimono Sweater: Silky Wool

[Sort of] Samus: Chester Farms 2-ply worsted - Some seaming and a whole lot of i-cord left

Ruffli Cardi

Top Down Raglan: Nashua Creative Focus Worsted - Needs blocked

Tricot: Ella Rae Classic (?)

Janda: Rowan All Seasons Cotton (gray/lavender/white) - Done!

Tubesque: Noro Garden + ???

Springfield (Cabley Twisty Rib Raglan): Cotton Plus

CeCe: ??

Lucy in the Sky: Shelridge Farms W4 (pink lemonade)

Rogue: Handspun

Shawl Collar Cardigan: Kathmandu Aran Tweed - Done!

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Bog Jacket

Ribbi Cardi: Cotton Ease (Black/Purple)

Ribbi Cardi: Cotton Ease (Blue/White)

Simple Knitted Bodice: Silky Wool?

Be a joiner!

I'm a Knitter and I Vote!

Knitting on the Road along

Sweater-a-Month KAL

An Unused Box!
Something should go here.
Hey Look! New Knitty!
Friday, December 08, 2006
Center Square - It looks like the wind would cut right through it - look how the stitches pull apart! (16.5 st/ 4 inches -- Paton's Classic Merino on US 11s! When I knit a bag to be felted, I only used 10.5s!) I think I'd figure out a way to retinker it and use 6s, to keep my head toasty.

Calorimetry - I've been pondering what I have in my stash I could make this with. I have some artyarns supermerino that might work... If it does, you'll probably see this right after finals!

Hexed - I like the idea, but dislike the FO. I don't need a weird, crown-type beret! But I think you could use the idea to make a round cap, possibly using finer yarn to make smaller hexagons, and grafting them together to get them to lie flat. Will ponder.

Antifreeze - I don't ski (I enjoy looking at the snow from my window, with a mug of hot chocolate, but from what I hear this isn't a particularly useful or practical item. Maybe if I need to rob a bank when I fail out of grad school, and have to come up with a new source of income to pay my student loans.

Binary - Did you see that this was made with Red Heart Supersaver? Did you see that part? I do like the idea of having a scarf that says "SCARF" like the blanket that says BLANKET.

Argosy - Normally, I only like scarves that are reversible/the same on both sides, so I don't have many knit scarves. But I really like this one, and I think I have just the yarn for it.

Corazon - Must have! I think I'm going to look more closely at the measurements when I get home, and try and substitute a round toe from "Knitting Vintage Socks" (Nancy Bush) since I don't like the angled tip. But that shouldn't be too hard.

Tiffany - That is a really eye searing red there. The red-on-green is kind of hard to look at and really think about, but I think I like these mittens as well. In like, gray on blue or something less retina burning. Probably with ribbed cuffs, too.

Legwarmer Socks - I am confused, and they seam so weirdly bulky. (I had a roommate once who used to wear socks and legwarmers to bed. I had a solution - the heater! But then she'd complain she was too hot, and said I should sleep in a sweat shirt, not a t-shirt, and I said if she took off a layer, she'd probably be just fine. Ahh. College!)

Rolling Thunder - Cute, although I'd omit the beads.

Monkey - It took too many readings of the intro to figure out the name. I clearly can't brain today, I have the dumb. I also love those shoes, and want a pair!

Eiffel - Not really my thing (I prefer my sweaters not be see-through, and that they keep me warm), but cute. Could probably lose the sleeve bows, and just go for the one under the bust.

Lauren - What a cute way to use handspun! Maybe I will buy some of the handspun on etsy I've been eyeing...

Emerald - I really wish I could see the raglan detail - in the first picture it's dim, the second picture it's turned away, and the third it hangs so that it folds over! I don't usually go for big bulky sweaters (I pulled out a store bought one the other day, it really did seem to add inches to my waist), so if the design were cool enough, I might consider retinkering it with smaller yarn. The fourth picture is a little more helpful, but I wish I could clearly see it on a person!

Twinkle Toes - I'm seriously considering making these for a friend I used to take ballet with!

Spanish Dancer - Is it inspired by the slug, or Flemenco? Seems like it would be a very boring knit, what with the miles and miles of garter.

Slingshot - Here's how this is going to go down: You put the coffee in the holder. It slides down a little, but seems firm enough. You set out for the office. Gravity really kicks in as it hangs, and the strap puts pressure on the lid (as it is clearly doing in the picture!). Lid pops off. No longer supported by lid-on-strap friction, cup slides through the holder, and hits the ground. It just can't end well. Add a bottom support, or better yet, remember your reusable travel mug!

Babe - I don't ice skate, but I saw a conversation about this earlier. Apparently it is a good idea (even left unfelted) because the wool will wick away the ice/water, and help prevent rust.

Venezia - Can't say I've ever wanted to knit with beads, but now I wish I had more time between now and this housewarming party, so I could make a set for some friends.

Brownbag - It seems awfully lumpy. I have this great lunch sack (pattern from "Workbasket" magazine, many years ago), made out of canvas, with a piece of plastic canvas in the bottom for stability, it was washable and awesome.

Starsky Jr. - Cute, especially useful for people who are not my grandmother and can't just randomly resize a sweater so that kid can have a sweater just like Mom's.

Blended Hues - Cute, although I can think of some perfectly nice variegated yarn where you wouldn't need three strands. I know babies grow fast, so it can be frustating to knit for them, when they can only wear something a few times. But that poor child is being consumed by the sweater! Make it a little smaller for her!

Piggle - It doesn't seem like it would keep the poor girl's head very warm. Also, my family LOVED putting me in pigtails when I was a wee one. When it was winter, they just put them low on the back of my head, so that I could wear a regular hat.

Norberta - Cute (I don't have much need for toys, so I don't have much else to say).

Sheldon - Sheldon has a really freakishly large head. I think if I were going to knit a turtle, I'd use the felted kit from Patternworks, where you can get a whole family from one kit.

Book of Kintty - I like the idea of a cute little textured book for kids, although, stitching the names in? Eh. Do something like a plain sock, a plain sweater, a plain hat, and help them learn the names of garments or something. Also, blocking is your friend!

So that's 12/26 patterns I'd knit (if with some serious modifications/retinkering). That's pretty awesome!
posted by Amber @ 5:25 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 9:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Not as many sweater patterns as I'd hoped but Cookie's pattern (Monkey) makes me want to start a pair of socks.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Reg said…

    Like I said before, I'm really liking Monkey (and I didn't get the name until you pointed it out just then so...I suppose that puts you ahead of me on the duh scale).

    All in all, I think this was a pretty good issue. I can see a lot more in here that I'll be thinking about knitting than I have in more recent ones.

    The slingshot confused me too. Though I suppose you could actually use it as a slingshot and send hot coffee into someone's face. That's a plus. Knit weaponry!

    And Sheldon is...cute...but...yeah huge head. I definitely like the dragon better. I'm sure I have more to comment on your comments, but somehow this is feeling long enough as it is so I'll just end it <3.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Amber
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER