Yarny Goodness!

Another superexciting fun knit blog

 
May Knit Goals!
I'm prone to being a scatterbrain, so I try to make a short list of things to accomplish each month (lest I have 27 different non matching socks).

No throwing books during finals - Sucess!

Finish Yarrow Rib #2

Start (finish?) Entrelac Socks

Start Eunny's Vest, Ribbi Cardi #2

Work on Dumb Scarf

On the Sticks

K1, YO, K2Tog Scarf

Sort of Samus

Yarrow Ribbed Sock

Rogue

Raglan with lace panel sleeves

Ribbi Cardi #2 (black/purple)

Mountain Stream Scarf

Sweater-A-Month 2007

Picovoli: Cathay - Needs blocking

Cabled Hoodie: Cascade 220 - Needs seams

Urban Aran

Mariah

Durrow - Done!

KnitPicks' Kimono Sweater: Silky Wool

[Sort of] Samus: Chester Farms 2-ply worsted - Some seaming and a whole lot of i-cord left

Ruffli Cardi

Top Down Raglan: Nashua Creative Focus Worsted - Needs blocked

Tricot: Ella Rae Classic (?)

Janda: Rowan All Seasons Cotton (gray/lavender/white) - Done!

Tubesque: Noro Garden + ???

Springfield (Cabley Twisty Rib Raglan): Cotton Plus

CeCe: ??

Lucy in the Sky: Shelridge Farms W4 (pink lemonade)

Rogue: Handspun

Shawl Collar Cardigan: Kathmandu Aran Tweed - Done!

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Bog Jacket

Ribbi Cardi: Cotton Ease (Black/Purple)

Ribbi Cardi: Cotton Ease (Blue/White)

Simple Knitted Bodice: Silky Wool?

Be a joiner!

I'm a Knitter and I Vote!

Knitting on the Road along

Sweater-a-Month KAL

An Unused Box!
Something should go here.
The Hat that Ate My Head
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One final down (unsettlingly easy), one (expecting to cry) to go, but while waiting for today's final, I finished my hat. It was sort of an exercise in stashbusting - I had two balls of ArtYarns SuperMerino (can I mention how super this yarn is again?) from my toe up sock class - but I disliked the socks, so I figured I'd make a hat some day. A misestimation in yarn sent one of the balls abroad a few months back (and a certain prom dress clad bitch better send me pictures one of these days!).

Anyway, then there was one. Not having the good sense to do a basic top down hat (when was the last time I had good sense, anyway?) I just started a 3x2 rib (I think I might have planned to make a new Odessa). But then I didn't have the pattern with me and the ribbing was getting kind of long, and what the hell - 3x2 ribbed hat it is! I made it through the first ball, and the hat was about 6 inches. Off to Stitch DC and picked up one more ball (which of course is a different dye lot -- no one mention it to me!). I made it through the straight part last night at Stitch and Bitch, and then did the math to have five decrease lines (rather than the stand by: knit 10, k2tog, k 9 k2tog... or as I call it, the swirly top hat).

I did all the decrease rounds before my final today, people who also didn't want to study (cram) were asking me about it - one guy throught it was a pair of baby pants, later he asked me if I sew the top together and then turn it inside out (which, okay, you do sort of do that when you're sewing). I left my finishing kit at home, so I didn't get to weave in ends until then - when I also realized the top was too pointy. So I ripped back 2 rows, and now the top is much nicer.

The basic formula:
2 balls ArtYarns SuperMerino.
Cast on 110, pm, join in round. Work in K3P2 rib for ~9 inches.
From marker, work 22 stitches in pattern, pm; repeat (5 markers total)
Do a left slanting decrease (SSK), work in pattern until 2 stitches before marker, do a right slanting decrease (K2TOG) [now, you'll have 20 stitches between the markers]. Repeat around.
Work 1 round in pattern.
Work a decrease round (now, you'll have 18 stitches between the markers).
Continue until you have 10 stitches on the needles, break the yarn and thread through the live stitches, cinching the gap closed.
Weave in ends, fold back the brim and enjoy the warm eared goodness!
(I had about 6 yards left over)

[Pictures of the hat being normal tomorrow, when I have a photographer handy!]
posted by Amber @ 10:28 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger knitfriendly said…

    Congrats on finishing your hat! ;) Good luck with your finals.

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    It DID eat your head! Cool aht though.

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, it's funny you should mention that ball of yarn going overseas--I have just now, before reading your blog, finished that pair of socks. Pictures forthcoming when I have shaved my legs and can model them appropriately.

    If I'd known you needed the ball, I'd just have bought one my own damned self. It is a nice hat, though.

     
  • At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...Baby pants?

    Wtf?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Amber
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER