Yarny Goodness!

Another superexciting fun knit blog

 
May Knit Goals!
I'm prone to being a scatterbrain, so I try to make a short list of things to accomplish each month (lest I have 27 different non matching socks).

No throwing books during finals - Sucess!

Finish Yarrow Rib #2

Start (finish?) Entrelac Socks

Start Eunny's Vest, Ribbi Cardi #2

Work on Dumb Scarf

On the Sticks

K1, YO, K2Tog Scarf

Sort of Samus

Yarrow Ribbed Sock

Rogue

Raglan with lace panel sleeves

Ribbi Cardi #2 (black/purple)

Mountain Stream Scarf

Sweater-A-Month 2007

Picovoli: Cathay - Needs blocking

Cabled Hoodie: Cascade 220 - Needs seams

Urban Aran

Mariah

Durrow - Done!

KnitPicks' Kimono Sweater: Silky Wool

[Sort of] Samus: Chester Farms 2-ply worsted - Some seaming and a whole lot of i-cord left

Ruffli Cardi

Top Down Raglan: Nashua Creative Focus Worsted - Needs blocked

Tricot: Ella Rae Classic (?)

Janda: Rowan All Seasons Cotton (gray/lavender/white) - Done!

Tubesque: Noro Garden + ???

Springfield (Cabley Twisty Rib Raglan): Cotton Plus

CeCe: ??

Lucy in the Sky: Shelridge Farms W4 (pink lemonade)

Rogue: Handspun

Shawl Collar Cardigan: Kathmandu Aran Tweed - Done!

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Bog Jacket

Ribbi Cardi: Cotton Ease (Black/Purple)

Ribbi Cardi: Cotton Ease (Blue/White)

Simple Knitted Bodice: Silky Wool?

Be a joiner!

I'm a Knitter and I Vote!

Knitting on the Road along

Sweater-a-Month KAL

An Unused Box!
Something should go here.
Planning for Another Sweater
Saturday, March 31, 2007
I haven't updated about knitting in ages. You see, I got a little sick while on vacation. Tomorrow will be two weeks of being sick, so yesterday I went to the doctor. He confirmed that I have a cold. A bad cold, but just a cold.

In knitting news: I just got my copy of Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Knitting Around" in the mail. Must. Make. Everything!

First. I have to have The Bog Jacket like, right now. I saw this one online some time ago, and it really caught my eye. I want mine to have be multi-color though (like the one here, on the lower left). At first I wasn't sure about garter stitch (it's so ... gartery), but then I thought "Hey, the Mermaid jacket is garter stitch, but really pretty." Of course, the Mermaid Jacket is knit at 7-8 stitches per inch. Which is pretty small (let's see, 39" at 7.5 st/inch is 293 stitches. And that means something a little shy of 600 rows. That's a lot of garter stitch). Sure, I could go with dk or worsted weight (5.5 st/in - 215 st, and 4.5 st/in is 176), but then it looks so gartery looking.

Okay, so sizing issues aside, colors! I love the gray-white-black one (cited above). But how? I know EZ is pithy and all, but would it kill her to include some specs on making ones just like the pictures? (So some fun with a sketchpad later, I think I'd knit 5" plain, a row or two in black, and then about 10 inches in my contrast color. Or maybe 6.5" plain and 7" in contrast. So confusing!)

Other considerations. So I know I need to shorten it up (my longer sweaters are about 15" from armpit to hem), and lengthen the sleeve (although, I don't see why she says to use "about 12%" more stitches. (For me) underarm to wrist is 18". As written, it would measure 10" so I need 8 more inches. (Or 7 and then do 1" of garter in the reverse direction.) So I'd add X st/inch x 8 inches (which is about 20%). The waist shaping is easy enough to add (love(!) the faux seam), the shoulder short rows confuse me just a bit. Maybe they'll make more sense as they're being knit?

And so many yarn options. I have O-Wool (earmarked for the Top Down Raglan Along, but I like it, and could get more). Stitch DC is also now stocking Ella Rae Classic (100% wool - 220 yards for $7) - and they have Mission Falls. All lovely worsted options. For something lighter... maybe knitpicks' Telemark? I haven't worked with that before, and usually I prefer merino, but I like the colors. If I got really wild and crazy with the fingering weight I could try knitpicks' Gloss (or the Bare Merino/Silk - still fingering weight, but 440 yards (for $6.60, compared to Gloss 220 yards/$4) - and then I could dye it myself so I could have something pastel-y). I could do a lilac body with white stripe and dark purple accents.

Or, I could be smart and tell myself that I won't get to this sweater until at least May - so I should wait and pick something up at Maryland Sheep and Wool - only a month away!

(Oh, and the second must have: Seamless Yoke with Henley collar, then some mittens, and maybe a pi are square shawl.)
posted by Amber @ 7:00 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger knitfriendly said…

    Yeah! A knitting update! :) I was beginning to think that you had fallen off the earth. I hope that you feel better soon. I am glad to read that you went to the Dr. and it is just a cold. I love EZ. She was a knitting genius. How is Rogue going? Also, did you get my email about MDSWF?

     
  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ya, I went to see cute doctor after 2 weeks and was also told I only had a cold. Wished I could go back to see him again! Also, glad to see a knitting update!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Amber
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER