Yarny Goodness!

Another superexciting fun knit blog

 
May Knit Goals!
I'm prone to being a scatterbrain, so I try to make a short list of things to accomplish each month (lest I have 27 different non matching socks).

No throwing books during finals - Sucess!

Finish Yarrow Rib #2

Start (finish?) Entrelac Socks

Start Eunny's Vest, Ribbi Cardi #2

Work on Dumb Scarf

On the Sticks

K1, YO, K2Tog Scarf

Sort of Samus

Yarrow Ribbed Sock

Rogue

Raglan with lace panel sleeves

Ribbi Cardi #2 (black/purple)

Mountain Stream Scarf

Sweater-A-Month 2007

Picovoli: Cathay - Needs blocking

Cabled Hoodie: Cascade 220 - Needs seams

Urban Aran

Mariah

Durrow - Done!

KnitPicks' Kimono Sweater: Silky Wool

[Sort of] Samus: Chester Farms 2-ply worsted - Some seaming and a whole lot of i-cord left

Ruffli Cardi

Top Down Raglan: Nashua Creative Focus Worsted - Needs blocked

Tricot: Ella Rae Classic (?)

Janda: Rowan All Seasons Cotton (gray/lavender/white) - Done!

Tubesque: Noro Garden + ???

Springfield (Cabley Twisty Rib Raglan): Cotton Plus

CeCe: ??

Lucy in the Sky: Shelridge Farms W4 (pink lemonade)

Rogue: Handspun

Shawl Collar Cardigan: Kathmandu Aran Tweed - Done!

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Bog Jacket

Ribbi Cardi: Cotton Ease (Black/Purple)

Ribbi Cardi: Cotton Ease (Blue/White)

Simple Knitted Bodice: Silky Wool?

Be a joiner!

I'm a Knitter and I Vote!

Knitting on the Road along

Sweater-a-Month KAL

An Unused Box!
Something should go here.
Fall 2006 Interweave
Friday, July 28, 2006
Interweave came! Interweave came! Interweave came!

Silken Spencer - I think the detailing at the hem, cuffs, and neck is really pretty, and usually I'm not a fan of embroidery-on-knits. However, I don't own any empire waist dresses (I can look pregnant without wearing anything special), so the back would need at least 8 more inches before arm hole shaping before I could get close to it.

Bianca's Jacket - I think the construction is pretty interesting, but the lace pattern doesn't really do it for me. It would also need about 6 more inches in the body. Looking at the main picture, I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be strangely flappy in the back (I made Otis, from Knitty, a while back, and it was about this long, and it was super flappy in the back, just for the short distance between my shoulder blades and the end of the sweater. But Otis had a tie, whereas this one doesn't and it even looks flappy in the picture.

Portland Pullover - Portland, Maine. Not Oregon. We don't support the fugly in Oregon. First off, the sleeves are rectangles (?!) and sewn in at an angle, rather than do angled sleeves (like a raglan). Second, the neck goes up as a tube without any shaping. If you've never made a sweater, a word of caution: If you make the front and back necklines the same height on a sweater, you'll choke yourself, because of the way the human neck is shaped. You can even see how they had to pull it down on the model, and there's a funny looking roll of fabric right under the mock turtleneck. Also, what did that poor girl do to the photographer? She clearly did something very bad to deserve that hat.

Gatsby Girl Pullover - I love Jodi more than I should love a person on the internet I've never met. I just love her sweaters so much. But this is one I think I'll be passing on. The yoke is too busy for my tastes. I love the braids and ribs on the lower half of the body, I love the sleeves, and I even like the buttons on the shoulder. But the way the yoke lace cuts off it visually pushes the model's breasts down toward her waist, and no one wants to look like they have saggy breasts. I do love the waist shaping, and I might consider doing the sweater with just the braids/ribs, all over. And it calls for Cashsoft DK. I < heart > Cashsoft.

Western Point Skirt - Seriously, what did the red head do to deserve this? It does not look like vintage neckties sewn together (and even if it did, why would you want a skirt made out of ties?), it just looks like elongated triangles Incidentally, I wonder if it would look better with a yarn that was more consistent (it calls for ribbon yarns held together), still silky (debbie bliss pure silk? Alchemy bamboo?) Also if the model wasn't wearing those hideous boots or that giant belt it might do a lot for the overall image.

Santa Fe Satchel - I'm not a fan of knitted bags, but I like the adjustable strap. If I were going for "Navajo rug" I probably wouldn't have used blues. (Actually if I were really going for Navajo Rug, I'd learn to weave, but that's a different issue).

Equinox Yoke Pullover - Sleeve color work is done flat? Oh hells no. Not when it's easy enough to do it circularly. Also, I think the colors and pattern are too busy at the yoke. I do really like the rolled hem, but I'm not such a fan of the neckline, but then I always wear a shirt under my sweaters, and a shirt color would look funny under the boatneck top.

Northern Lights Jacket - Ohh, now this would be a use for glow in the dark yarn. Can't you just imagine walking somewhere at night with Giant Freaky Owl Face glowing on your chest?

Saffron Cables - Why on earth would you want to knit an adult sized blanket at FOUR STITCHES PER INCH?

Wanderlust Hoodie - Seeing the large picture of it, I think I take it back. Not a fan of the seed stitch filled diamonds across the body, the bobbles the base of the leaf motif, or the seed stitch cuffs. I do like the subtle waist shaping, and the hood. But definately not something I need 23 balls of Aurora Bulky to make right away.

Swallowtail Shawl - It's nice, but doesn't seem so different from that one from Fibertrends everyone is always making.

Coral Crossing - Normally I like cables that come out of ribs (and go back into ribs - clever!), but I think it's the pockets that turn me off this sweater. Which is strange because I like pockets, and want to figure out how to incorporate them into more sweaters. I think without pockets and if the cables started more like an inch or two above the hem, instead of 4-5 inches above it could be a nice sweater.

Glasgow Lace - We're getting better - I'd only add 2-3 inches to this sweater before considering it wearable. I actually really like it, although I feel it needs a shirt under it (not a camisole), but I don't think very many shirts would work with that neckline. But I really like the hem (shell stitch, may have to investigate use of this elsewhere), and I really like the length of the sleeves.

Supernova Pullover - Grumperina knit one of Norah Gaughan's sweaters, and really enjoyed the unique construction with the hexagons. I'm not feeling the love, but I can't put my finger on why.

Father and Son Socks - Understated. I like that in a sock. I bet they'd look great with wee seed beads on the purl stitches.

Staff Project - Give me a handbag! - I don't usually carry a handbag, just my messanger bag (lately a sling backpack), so it isn't particularly useful to me. Number 5 ("Retrostripe" - linked) looks like a bat. You could do it in black and orange, make it just a bit bigger, and give it to a kid for a Halloween candy bag.

Spartan Pullover - I like, but. I'm strangely a fan of mens sweaters, I don't know why, maybe because there's less frills than in a lot of women's sweaters? But I'd be worried about the placement of the design drawing the eye down, and making me look extra chunky around the middle. Plus I dislike the drop shoulders. Maybe with raglan sleeves and a wee bit of waist shaping it could be better for a girl.

Breton Jacket - It reminds me of that Debbie Bliss cardigan. But with a cable. I like how the cable is also reflected on the sleeve, but I dislike the belt. It needs a snap or a good pin.

Target Wave Mittens - I'd do a smaller gauge (calls for 5st/inch), but otherwise I think those are adorable mittens, for anyone.

Weekend Pullover - Veronik Avery is going to be at the Stitch DC booth at some event coming up soon. They're very excited. But Veronik aside, I like the shaping, and that the bottom hem on the side has a small vent, but I dislike the cable/rib going on at that edge, and I wish the pattern continued around the side - it just seems so busy having the lace, the regular cable and then the funny cable/rib, and a different rib on the sleeve. And remember what I said earlier about the shape of the neck - this pattern is doing that funny roll thing right at the collarbone as well. Why? Why?!

Sienna Cardigan - Cute, in a basic sort of way. It hangs funny at the side - it's like there's too much fabric for this model (in pictures where she's sitting and where she's standing). I like the collar, but I wonder if it would be prone to flipping up and not being quite so good looking. And the way the button band gaps bothers me - I wonder if it could be fixed with better blocking?

Little Majolica - Bad fair isle! Bad! No cookie for you. There's bright colors, and then there's clashing colors. Why can't these designers pick a better color scheme? I've seen Julia (the yarn specified) it comes in some lovely colors, so why on earth this eye searing combo?
posted by Amber @ 11:04 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Amber
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER